High School Announcements for the
Week of April 13, 2015
CAFETERIA UPDATE: Breakfast is now being served every morning from 7-8:30am. Pancakes are $2.50, Eggs (any style) are $2.50, and Omelets are $4.00.
Monday, April 20
- Juniors only may dress comfy-cozy today
- There have been some changes/additions to our school calendar. The updated semester 2 school calendar has been posted on the school website.- http://www.shrineschools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Shrine-Catholic-High-School-and-Academy-Updated-Semester-2-Calendar-2015.pdf
A basic calendar for next school year 2015-2016, is posted below.
Tuesday April 21
- Tickets are on sale now for this year’s spring musical, SEUSSICAL! All seats are reserved. Ticket prices are $15 and $10 for children and seniors. Tickets can be ordered by calling the school office at 248-549-2925. Performance dates are April 23, 24, 25 at 7:30pm and April 26 at 3:00pm.
- 1/2 day of school Students are dismissed at 12:05pm.
- You are cordially invited to participate in the celebrations recognizing the National Shrine of the Little Flower as a Minor Basilica by Pope Francis. A solemn Mass of Thanksgiving with Archbishop Vigneron will be held at 7:00pm. A reception follows in the grade school gym.
Thursday, April 23
- Opening night of Seussical 7:30pm
Friday, April 23
- Seussical Performance 7:30pm
Sunday, April 19 - Every year in preparation for ordination to the priesthood the seminarians at Sacred Heart Major Seminary make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. On Sunday, April 19 from 3-6pm, the Detroit Oakland Serra Club invites our Shrine families to support their journey by attending a potluck dinner being held at the Shrine Grade School Gym. Please RSVP to Marte Bewick at 248-761-2175. Click HERE for more information.
Student Heart Check Every year, students die from sudden cardiac arrest due to abnormal heart structure or abnormal rhythms. To help detect young people who are at risk for sudden cardiac arrest, Beaumont offers free heart checks to students 13-18 years of age. Beaumont is having another student heart check on Sat., May 9 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Troy High School, 4777 Northfield Parkway. Registration is required. Click HERE for more information and registration.
National Catholic Youth Conference
The National Catholic Youth Conference is a powerful, biennial, three-day experience of prayer, community, and empowerment for Catholic teenagers (of high school age) and their adult chaperones. The next trip is November 19-21, 2015 and will be held in Indianapolis. An informational meeting will be held at Shrine High School on Monday, April 27 at 7pm in the Lirary. Clickon the following link for a regsitration packet. NCYC Youth Registration Packet Registration deadline is May 1, 2015,
Questions? Contact Christine Wist, Youth Minister, at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or 586-718-9145. NCYC Informational Flyer
Students that need a replacement ID card should stop in the main office. ID cards can be prepayed online with check or credit card or you can leave a check in the high school office(made out to TRU FOODS) which will be added to the students lunch account. Checks dropped off at 8am will be loaded to the account in time for lunch that day. Thank you for helping us to make the line move more quickly and efficient.
In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, February 13- Mrs. Bernadette Sugrue, Principal of Shrine Catholic High School & Academy, announces her retirement. Click HERE for her announcment.
National Shrine of the Little Flower designated as a Minor Basilica
Archbishop Vigneron has informed us that the National Shrine of the Little Flower has been designated by the Holy Father, Pope Francis, as a Minor Basilica.
The essence of being a Shrine means drawing people closer to the Lord by providing a place where prayer can take place and where one’s spiritual life can be refreshed, energized and deepened. Since its founding in 1926, Shrine has been a place where pilgrims from near and far come to celebrate their faith. The example of our patroness, St. Thérèse and her little way of doing small things with great love has inspired many to come closer to Christ.
Being a parish in addition to a National Shrine, and now a Minor Basilica, we recognize our responsibility all the more to spread the Gospel message to all who come our way.
To mark its designation as a Minor Basilica, we will hold a solemn celebration of Mass with a reading of the decree at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22.
We are most grateful to Pope Francis for the designation and to Archbishop Vigneron for his support and guidance. Fr. Bob Fisher
Press release from the Archdiocese of Detroit PRESS RELEASE
Courtesy Driving School Classes
Segment 2 classes will begin in April. click HERE for dates and registration information. Or you can contact Courtesy Driving School at 800-256-9559 to register for a class.
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
Shrine Mother’s Club
- February 2015 Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
NEW- Basic Calendar for 2015-2016
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for students
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for student
- September 4th & Sept 7th – off (Labor day)
- September 8th – Classes resume
- November 25th – 29th – Thanksgiving
- December 19th – January 3rd – Christmas Vacation
- January 4th – Classes resume
- January 13th, 14th, 15th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 19th – 22nd – Winter break
- March 24th – April 3rd - Easter Break
- May 26th - High School Graduation
- May 27th & 30th – off (Memorial day)
- June 6th – Eighth Grade Graduation
- June 8th, 9th, 10th - Finals
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296