High School Announcements for the
Week of October 27, 2014
ANNOUNCEMENT: Mr. James Mio ’96 has been chosen to be Shrine Catholic High School’s new Assistant Principal. Congratulations Mr. Mio. Click on the following link for a letter from Mrs. Sugrue Announcement of Shrine Catholic High School’s New Assistant Principal
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
Monday, October 27
- Orders are being taken now for Shrine Catholic sweatshirts. They are navy blue and embroidered in gold. The cost per sweatshirt is $25. The next order deadline is November 20th. Click on the following link for an order form and more details.Sweatshirt Order Form
Tuesday, October 28
- Fall Vocal Concert is tonight, 7:00pm, Sanders Auditorium. The Spirit Shop will be open this week! If you are attending the Vocal & Instrumental Concert or the High School NHS Induction on Wednesday, the shop will be open for a half hour before each event so stop by and shop! The Shop will also be open for the Open House on Sunday, November 2nd!
Wednesday, October 29
- NHS Induction Ceremony, 7:30pm, Sanders Auditorium. Inductees and NHS members should arrive in the Student Center by 7:10 p.m.. The reception will be following the event in the student center.
Thursday, October 30
- 1st quarter ends
Friday, October 31
- 1/2 day of school today. Students are dismissed at 12:05pm
We are now in the final week of the Come Home to Shrine Raffle. So far we have raised $12,282. We need to sell a total of 2,944 tickets to reach our goal of $27,000. Remember to sell your Come Home to Shrine raffle tickets by November 2nd! The final drawing for all prizes will be at 2pm during the High School and Academy Open House on November 2nd. Please write checks to Shrine Catholic Schools. If every family sold just 5 of their raffle tickets, that would be a $15,000 profit for our kids and schools! Imagine if we all sold 20 or more raffle tickets! This is what makes Shrine Catholic Schools special – how we all work together to improve the education of our children. For your convenience tickets can also be purchased online at: https://53044.thankyou4caring.org/pages/2014-come-home-to-shrine-raffle
Monday, November 3- All Schools Mass, Shrine Church, 9:00am
Click HERE for a link to PayForIt -the login page to add funds to your son/daughter’s school lunch account.
- Oakland County Health Division is partnering with Oakland Community College Royal Oak to bring Robert Stutman, the former head of the nation’s largest DEA field office, to discuss multiple issues surrounding prescription drug abuse. He will host a two-hour discussion with the community at Oakland Community College Royal Oak Campus in the Lila Jones-Johnson Theatre on October 28th from 6:30-8:30pm. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about this issue that affects many people in our community. Click on the link for a flyer with more details and registration information.Who’s Shopping in Your Medicine Cabinet
- On Saturday, November 1, the National Shrine of the Little Flower is hosting Fr. Leo Patalinghug, winner of a throwdown against Iron Chef Bobby Flay. Fr. Leo will host a special cooking presentation called “How To Spice Up Your Married Life”. Dinner, dessert and wine is only $40 per couple. Click this link for details and to reserve your spot. Hurry – space is limited! Click on the link for an informational flyer. Spice Up Your Life 2
- Beaumont and HAVEN are joining together for a panel discussion exploring and sharing ideas and methods for parenting and raising complex, happy and productive boys into emotionally whole men.on Nov. 13, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. at Beaumont Hospital. Click on the link for more information Boys will be boys?
The Shrine Holiday Gift Boutique will be held at Shrine Grade School November 14 & 15. It will be a great Boutique planned with over 30 vendors. Stop by to pick up some unique items!!Shrine Holiday Gift Boutique
Shrine Cafe update…Many have been asking about how to apply money to your child’s ID card for purchases in the cafe. Students may continue to pay with cash. Checks made payable to TRU FOODS are also acceptable. In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shrine Mother’s Club
- August Mother’s Club Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
- The Shrine High School & Academy Mothers’ Club is once again sponsoring their Poinsettia Sale for both business and personal orders. Click on the following link for an order form and more information. Poinsettia Order Form-2014
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
Basic Calendar 2014-15
Shrine High School & Academy
- August 27th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 28th - Full day of classes for students
- September 2nd – Classes resume
- November 26th – 30th – Thanksgiving
- December 20th – January 4th – Christmas Vacation
- January 5th – Classes resume
- January 14th, 15th, 16th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 20th – 23rd – Winter break
- April 2-12 – Easter Break
- June 8th, 9th, 10th – Finals
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296