High School Announcements for the
Week of April 14, 2014
Lenten Food Drive continues this week!!
Shrine students have a long tradition of being generous to others in need. As we begin our 2014 Lenten journey, we ask you to continue that tradition of generosity and kindness. Our food collection this Lent will be very similar to the 2013 collection. Four teams have been established to collect very specific items in preparation for the BIG BUILD at our Holy Week Lenten Prayer Service on Thursday, April 16.
Freshmen/Sophomores- peanut butter and boxed Mac & Cheese
Juniors/Seniors- canned fruit and boxed cereal
Items are being collected in the Religion classrooms.
Congratulations to the following students in the Junior Class on their winning essays for the Vocations Essay Contest- 1st Place- Ketura Webb; 2nd place Anthony Bolton; Honorable Mention Emily Bonnell, Megan Sparks, Mallory Stinebaugh, Reilly Carr, Alaina Burt, Tess Carolan, and Abigail Bernhard.
Sunday, April 13
- GODSPELL Performance 3:00pm Sanders Auditorium
Monday, April 14
- NO SCRIP this week
Tuesday, April 15
- Shrine’s SLEC is holding a Prom Dress Collection beginning April 28 through May 2. Men’s suits are also being collected. Suits and dresses will donated to the Matrix Human Services You may drop off your donations to the High School Office.
Wednesday, April 16
- Jeans Day for all students ($3.00 donation given to your Math teacher) in support of three of our graduates, Kelly Cobbledick, Meghan Faught, and Erin Scott, who are planning to walk in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk for the Cure. To help boost their overall fundraising goal, Wednesday will be a competition between math classes, with the class that brings in the most jeans day money winning a pizza party on May 9th. Please support the girls on this special journey!
- All School Lenten Prayer service, 2:20pm, Sanders Auditorium
Have a blessed Easter break! Classes resume Monday, April 28th
- The juniors won the raffle ticket sales competition and their award is a free jeans week. Monday, April 28 – Friday, May 2. (This is our first week back from Easter break.)
- Tuesday, May 6 – High School & Academy Band Concert
- Wednesday, May 7- High School & Academy Vocal Concert
- Thursday, May 15- High School Honors Banquet
- Wednesday, May 21- Schoolbelles Uniform Measuring 3-5pm Library
- May 22- Shrine High School Graduation Ceremonies
- No School Friday, May 23 and Monday, May 26 -Memorial Day Weekend
Beaumont Health Services Babysitting Class 2014 – Certified Sitter
- Ages: 10 and older
- Instruction: Six (6) hours over two (2) evenings
- Location: Safety City U.S.A., Northwood Shopping Center, 13 Mile Road and Woodward Ave., Royal Oak
- Class time: 4 – 7 p.m.
- Class fee: $45
- · The business of babysitting
- · Child growth and development from birth to six-years-old
- · Age appropriate meals, snacks, toys and games
- · What to do in case of a babysitting emergency
The Worldwide Marriage Encounter weekend experience offers emphasis on communication between husband and wife and a chance to look deeply into their marital relationship and their relationship with God. The weekend provides a conducive environment for couples to spend time together, away from the distractions and tensions of everyday life, while encouraging them to focus on each other and their marital relationship. More information about their upcoming weekend can be found at their website http://www.wwme-detroit.org/about.html
Kelly, Mike, the Kalpins and I, would like to extend the warmest of all heartfelt thank you to the entire community. There is no way that we can communicate how thankful we are for the love, prayers,dinners, help, and support that you have continually showed us throughout Kathy’s illness and recent passing.It is remarkable, but not surprising, that the community has exactly replicated Kathy’s character in the love and care you have all shown. Kathy often was overwhelmed with the love you showed her and truly appreciated the numerous expressions of care that were extended. While she wanted to personally thank each and every one of you, even Kathy couldn’t pull that off. Please know that she was always aware just how special the Shrine community is and how blessed we are to be a part of it. May God bless you and your families.
Basic Calendar 2014-15
Shrine High School & Academy
- August 27th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 28th - Full day of classes for students
- September 2nd – Classes resume
- November 26th – 30th – Thanksgiving
- December 20th – January 4th – Christmas Vacation
- January 5th – Classes resume
- January 14th, 15th, 16th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 20th – 23rd – Winter break
- April 2-12 – Easter Break
- June 8th, 9th, 10th – Finals
- Schoolbelles, our school uniform store, is offering free shipping until their new retail store opens. The new store location will be announced in the new year.
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296
- Northwood Marketplace – Apples for the Students Rewards Program NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters collect your receipts and simply drop them off or mail them to the High School Office, ATTN: Mothers Club (Apples for the Students Rewards Program).
Shrine Athletic Passes are now for sale-just $50 for a family pass to get you into all the exciting Shrine home sporting events. They are available at the door at all home games as well as by sending in a check or cash to the High School Office.