High School Announcements for the
Week of October 20, 2014
ANNOUNCEMENT: Mr. James Mio ’96 has been chosen to be Shrine Catholic High School’s new Assistant Principal. Congratulations Mr. Mio. Click on the following link for a letter from Mrs. Sugrue Announcement of Shrine Catholic High School’s New Assistant Principal
Congratulations to our ninth grade students that received the Rite of Confirmation on Sunday, October 5th with Bishop Walter Hurley. God Bless you as you continue on your faith journey.
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
Monday, October 20
- Orders are being taken now for Shrine Catholic sweatshirts. They are navy blue and embroidered in gold. The cost per sweatshirt is $25. The first order deadline is October 24th. Click on the following link for an order form and more details.Sweatshirt Order Form
- High School Yearbook and Journalism students travel to Lansing today to attend the MIPA Conference (Michigan Interscholastic Press Association)
Tuesday, October 21
- College visits today from St. Mary’s College Notre Dame during period B
Wednesday, October 22
- College visits today from Saginaw Valley, Period A and Hillsdale, Period E
Thursday, October 23
Friday, October 24
- Junior Class has Mass today at 1pm in the Chapel. Seniors, Sophomores and Freshman will attend class meetings
- Gamer’s Club after school today, 3:30-9:00pm, Library
- Tuesday, October 28- Fall Vocal Concert 7pm, Auditorium
- NHS Induction Ceremony, 7:30 pm., Auditorium
- Friday, October 31- 1/2 day of school, students dismissed at 12:05
Shrine Grade School Book Fair October 18- 22 – click on the link for more information Book Fair flyer
- Oakland County Health Division is partnering with Oakland Community College Royal Oak to bring Robert Stutman, the former head of the nation’s largest DEA field office, to discuss multiple issues surrounding prescription drug abuse. He will host a two-hour discussion with the community at Oakland Community College Royal Oak Campus in the Lila Jones-Johnson Theatre on October 28th from 6:30-8:30pm. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about this issue that affects many people in our community. Click on the link for a flyer with more details and registration information.Who’s Shopping in Your Medicine Cabinet
- On Saturday, November 1, the National Shrine of the Little Flower is hosting Fr. Leo Patalinghug, winner of a throwdown against Iron Chef Bobby Flay. Fr. Leo will host a special cooking presentation called “How To Spice Up Your Married Life”. Dinner, dessert and wine is only $40 per couple. Click this link for details and to reserve your spot. Hurry – space is limited! Click on the link for an informational flyer. Spice Up Your Life 2
- Beaumont and HAVEN are joining together for a panel discussion exploring and sharing ideas and methods for parenting and raising complex, happy and productive boys into emotionally whole men.on Nov. 13, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. at Beaumont Hospital. Click on the link for more information Boys will be boys?
The Shrine Holiday Gift Boutique will be held at Shrine Grade School November 14 & 15. It will be a great Boutique planned with over 30 vendors. Stop by to pick up some unique items!!Shrine Holiday Gift Boutique
Shrine Cafe update…Many have been asking about how to apply money to your child’s ID card for purchases in the cafe. Students may continue to pay with cash. Checks made payable to TRU FOODS are also acceptable. In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at email@example.com.
Shrine Mother’s Club
- August Mother’s Club Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
- The Shrine High School & Academy Mothers’ Club is once again sponsoring their Poinsettia Sale for both business and personal orders. Click on the following link for an order form and more information. Poinsettia Order Form-2014
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
Basic Calendar 2014-15
Shrine High School & Academy
- August 27th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 28th - Full day of classes for students
- September 2nd – Classes resume
- November 26th – 30th – Thanksgiving
- December 20th – January 4th – Christmas Vacation
- January 5th – Classes resume
- January 14th, 15th, 16th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 20th – 23rd – Winter break
- April 2-12 – Easter Break
- June 8th, 9th, 10th – Finals
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296