High School Announcements for the
Week of March 23, 2015
CAFETERIA UPDATE: Breakfast is now being served every morning from 7-8:30am. Pancakes are $2.50, Eggs (any style) are $2.50, and Omelets are $4.00.
Monday, March 23
- Red Cross Blood Drive, Library. Contact Mrs. Jaeger to set up an apppointment to donate. 248-549-2925 ext 2525
- Track Parent meeting 7pm, Library
- Once again, we are going to have a little friendly Shrine competition, grades 7 -12. Each grade has been assigned one or more items to collect throughout the remaining days of Lent. At the end of Lent, each grade will “construct” something with the items collected. Of course, there will be a prize. Religion teachers will discuss more of the details with you. So, for now, start bringing into your Religion classes the item(s) your grade has been assigned. The more items collected, the more impressive your construction will appear. Good luck and have fun!
- Grade 9- boxed protein or cereal bars
- Grade 10- individual tuna or chicken salad packs
- Grade 11- Cans of spaghetti sauce and boxes of spaghetti
- Grade 12-Coffee
- There have been some changes/additions to our school calendar. The updated semester 2 school calendar has been posted on the school website.- http://www.shrineschools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Shrine-Catholic-High-School-and-Academy-Updated-Semester-2-Calendar-2015.pdf
A basic calendar for next school year 2015-2016, is posted below.
Tuesday, March 24
- The Fashion Show is the Mother’s Club annual fund raiser, which benefits the school, students and teachers. The evening includes a delicious dinner, various raffles, a Wishing Well which includes many unique gifts and student artwork, the Senior Corner which includes larger items that appeal to our beloved Seniors as they approach their next chapter, and our Grand Prize Raffle for an all inclusive Senior Graduation Party. Our seniors mom and their daughters and sons, acting as models, is always an exciting part of the evening. This will be a wonderful evening and hope you will attend.
- SLEC is sponsoring a Pull-tab Drive for the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Proceeds from recycling pull tabs benefit the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland by providing meals and items for families, assistance in emergencies, and giving families special moments – like small gifts for children if they have a birthday while at the House.. The class with the most collected received a comfy cozy day after Easter break. Collection containers are in Religion classrooms.
- Tickets are on sale now for this year’s spring musical, SEUSSICAL! All seats are reserved. Ticket prices are $15 and $10 for children and seniors (65+). Tickets can be ordered by calling the school office at 248-549-2925. Performance dates are April 23, 24, 25 at 7:30pm and April 26 at 3:00pm.
- National Shrine of the Little Flower’s Lenten Series continues. Click HERE for additional dates and times.
- John LaCroix, Director of the RCIA program at Shrine, is offering a presentation on the Shroud of Turin at 7:00 pm in the Student Center. Shrine junior and senior students are encouraged to attend.
Thursday, March 26
- National Spanish Exam this morning
- Class Mass for all juniors today at 1pm, Chapel
- Parents are invited to attend a community presentation on social media for parents at the Royal Oak Middle School on Thursday, March 26th at 7:00 p.m. Click here for more information.How_to_Keep_Kids_Safe_Online
Friday, March 27
- National Spanish Exam this morning
- Shrine Bake Fish Shrine Grade School 4:30 PM – 7:30 PM Fridays: 2/20 through 3/27 Menu Options: Every Friday we offer Baked Cod, Homemade Cheesy Potatoes, Coleslaw & Roll Coffee, Tea, Lemonade & Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puffs
Shrine Golf Team Euchre Tournament Fundraiser- Saturday, March 28th, 7:00-11:00pm, Student Center. Click on the link for more information Golf Team Euchre Tournament Fundraiser. Tickets are $20 or a donation of a dozen premium golf balls. NOTE: The $20 is for Euchre players entry fee but everyone is welcome to stop by (no charge) to check out and bid on silent auction items (sports tickets, golf equipment, golf packages, autographed memorabilia, etc)
Cafeteria update: ID replacement cards are available in the high school office. ID cards can be pre-loaded online with check or credit card or you can leave a check in the high school office(made out to TRU FOODS) which will be added to the students lunch account. Checks dropped off at 8am will be loaded to the account in time for lunch that day. Thank you for helping us to make the line move more quickly and efficient.
In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, February 13- Mrs. Bernadette Sugrue, Principal of Shrine Catholic High School & Academy, announces her retirement. Click HERE for her announcment.
National Shrine of the Little Flower designated as a Minor Basilica
Archbishop Vigneron has informed us that the National Shrine of the Little Flower has been designated by the Holy Father, Pope Francis, as a Minor Basilica.
The essence of being a Shrine means drawing people closer to the Lord by providing a place where prayer can take place and where one’s spiritual life can be refreshed, energized and deepened. Since its founding in 1926, Shrine has been a place where pilgrims from near and far come to celebrate their faith. The example of our patroness, St. Thérèse and her little way of doing small things with great love has inspired many to come closer to Christ.
Being a parish in addition to a National Shrine, and now a Minor Basilica, we recognize our responsibility all the more to spread the Gospel message to all who come our way.
To mark its designation as a Minor Basilica, we will hold a solemn celebration of Mass with a reading of the decree at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22.
We are most grateful to Pope Francis for the designation and to Archbishop Vigneron for his support and guidance. Fr. Bob Fisher
Press release from the Archdiocese of Detroit PRESS RELEASE
Courtesy Driving School Classes
Segment 2 classes will begin in April. click HERE for dates and registration information. Or you can contact Courtesy Driving School at 800-256-9559 to register for a class.
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
Shrine Mother’s Club
- February 2015 Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
NEW- Basic Calendar for 2015-2016
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for students
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for student
- September 4th & Sept 7th – off (Labor day)
- September 8th – Classes resume
- November 25th – 29th – Thanksgiving
- December 19th – January 3rd – Christmas Vacation
- January 4th – Classes resume
- January 13th, 14th, 15th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 19th – 22nd – Winter break
- March 24th – April 3rd - Easter Break
- May 26th - High School Graduation
- May 27th & 30th – off (Memorial day)
- June 6th – Eighth Grade Graduation
- June 8th, 9th, 10th - Finals
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296