High School Announcements for the
Week of March 2, 2015
Monday, March 2
- There have been some changes/additions to our school calendar. The updated semester 2 school calendar has been posted on the school website.- http://www.shrineschools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Shrine-Catholic-High-School-and-Academy-Updated-Semester-2-Calendar-2015.pdf
A basic calendar for next school year 2015-2016, is posted below.
- Shrine High’s Observer, the student managed news publication, is raffling off two tickets and a parking pass to the nearly sold out Maroon 5 concert featuring Magic! at the Palace of Auburn Hills on Wednesday, March 18th to raise funds for the continuation of production! The tickets are located in Section 102, Row C which are great spots in the first bowl to see the one and only Adam Levine! Tickets in this section are sold out and only resale for nearly $700 a ticket!To participate in this great fundraiser, be sure to buy your raffle tickets at Shrine High from the Observer at the Main Office, lunch, or the Newsroom. Tickets will be on sale from Monday, February 16th until Friday, March 6th. The winner will be announced on the last day.Thank you for your support and don’t miss out!The Observer Staff
Ticket prices- 1 ticket = $5, 2 tickets = $8, 5 tickets = $15, 10 tickets = $20
25 tickets = $25
Tuesday, March 3
- SLEC is sponsoring a Pull-tab Drive for the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Proceeds from recycling pull tabs benefit the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland by providing meals and items for families, assistance in emergencies, and giving families special moments – like small gifts for children if they have a birthday while at the House.. The class with the most collected received a comfy cozy day after Easter break. Collection containers are in Religion classrooms.
- National Shrine of the Little Flower’s Lenten Series continues. Click HERE for additional dates and times.
- Tickets are on sale now for the “A Knight To Remember” the Shrine Schools Auction on Saturday, March 7 being held this year at the St. Nicholas Event Center in Troy. Become a sponsor, purchase tickets, donate an item, advertise your business or purchase a family ad! All auction information can be found on the website http://www.shrineschools.com/auction/
Thursday, March 5
- Sophomore Parent meeting 7pm, Library
Friday, March 6
- Seniors have the day off from school
- Shrine Bake Fish Shrine Grade School 4:30 PM – 7:30 PM Fridays: 2/20 through 3/27 Menu Options: Every Friday we offer Baked Cod, Homemade Cheesy Potatoes, Coleslaw & Roll Coffee, Tea, Lemonade & Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puffs
Cafeteria update: ID replacement cards are available in the high school office. ID cards can be pre-loaded online with check or credit card or you can leave a check in the high school office(made out to TRU FOODS) which will be added to the students lunch account. Checks dropped off at 8am will be loaded to the account in time for lunch that day. Thank you for helping us to make the line move more quickly and efficient.
In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at email@example.com.
Saturday, March 7- Shrine Schools Auction – “A Knight To Remember” All auction information can be found on the website http://www.shrineschools.com/auction/
Wednesday, March 11
- Balfour will be in the counseling office for all of period F. They will be here to pass out graduation announcements that were ordered by seniors, Juniors are welcome to come check out class rings as well.
- Reconciliation service for Grades 7, 8 and 9, 9:40am
Saturday, March 21 Lacrosse Team Euchre Fundraiser-Click HERE for more information
MOTHERS’ CLUB FASHION SHOW NEWS
Save the Date! Tuesday- March 24th
Calling all Shrine Moms who would like to join in on the celebration for honoring your Senior Shrine Moms. Be a part of the 35th annual Shrine High School fashion show-Tuesday March 24th at 6:00 p.m in Sanders Auditorium. Moms, If you would like to donate a bottle of wine for our fashion show bar, that would be greatly appreciated.
Friday, February 13- Mrs. Bernadette Sugrue, Principal of Shrine Catholic High School & Academy, announces her retirement. Click HERE for her announcment.
National Shrine of the Little Flower designated as a Minor Basilica
Archbishop Vigneron has informed us that the National Shrine of the Little Flower has been designated by the Holy Father, Pope Francis, as a Minor Basilica.
The essence of being a Shrine means drawing people closer to the Lord by providing a place where prayer can take place and where one’s spiritual life can be refreshed, energized and deepened. Since its founding in 1926, Shrine has been a place where pilgrims from near and far come to celebrate their faith. The example of our patroness, St. Thérèse and her little way of doing small things with great love has inspired many to come closer to Christ.
Being a parish in addition to a National Shrine, and now a Minor Basilica, we recognize our responsibility all the more to spread the Gospel message to all who come our way.
To mark its designation as a Minor Basilica, we will hold a solemn celebration of Mass with a reading of the decree at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22.
We are most grateful to Pope Francis for the designation and to Archbishop Vigneron for his support and guidance. Fr. Bob Fisher
Press release from the Archdiocese of Detroit PRESS RELEASE
Courtesy Driving School Classes
Segment 2 classes will begin in April. click HERE for dates and registration information. Or you can contact Courtesy Driving School at 800-256-9559 to register for a class.
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
Shrine Mother’s Club
- November/December Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
NEW- Basic Calendar for 2015-2016
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for students
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for student
- September 4th & Sept 7th – off (Labor day)
- September 8th – Classes resume
- November 25th – 29th – Thanksgiving
- December 19th – January 3rd – Christmas Vacation
- January 4th – Classes resume
- January 13th, 14th, 15th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 19th – 22nd – Winter break
- March 24th – April 3rd - Easter Break
- May 26th - High School Graduation
- May 27th & 30th – off (Memorial day)
- June 6th – Eighth Grade Graduation
- June 8th, 9th, 10th - Finals
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296