High School Announcements
A message from Mr. Oppat, Principal
A New School Year:
As the principal of Shrine High School and Academy, I would like to welcome back all the students, faculty, staff, new and old families. This summer has been about many changes for me personally; learning about the Shrine community, as well as many improvements to the school building:
- Four new drinking fountains, that also fill water bottles
- The first floor boys and girls bathrooms have been renovated
- New parking lot lighting – DTE installed new poles and lights
- The parking lot has been patched, sealed and restriped
- The leaky field house windows are to be replaced
- New software upgrades, Edline is gone but the Plus Portal is here. This is a wonderful change and more information will be coming.
I am excited to for the start of the New Year so we can have the Spirit not only touch our hearts but all who we encounter in our lives.
Let us pray for each other….
Saturday, August 29
- Welcome Back Dance! for all high school students, 8:00pm – 11:00pm, Student Center. $5.00 Click HERE for a guest pass form.
Tuesday, September 1
- Senior Cap & Gown Photos, Senior Lounge
Friday, September 4 & Monday, September 7
- No School Labor Day Holiday
Tuesday, September 8
- STIR IT UP WITH 3 PRIESTS AND A DEACON
Make plans to attend a fundraiser on September 8 with some of your favorite Shrine clergy at bd’s Mongolian Grill in Royal Oak! Fr. Joe, Fr. Patrick, Fr. Ryan and Deacon Paul will be serving as guest grillers, hosts and minglers as you enjoy a delicious dinner with your Shrine family.
Proceeds from this event will help defer costs for the over 60 teens who will be attending the National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC) in Indianapolis this November. You can even indicate your support of a specific teen at the time of ticket purchase. Your ticket includes one bowl of stir-fry, and unlimited soup, salad and soft drinks. Please click here for more details and to see our really awesome flyer: https://drive.google.com/file/
Wednesday, September 9
- High School Meet the Teacher Night, 7:00pm
Friday, September 11
- All School Mass for all students Grades 7-12 in the Auditorium at 1:00pm
MBS DIRECT-SUMMER READING & Textbook purchases
- The MBS website is now open to purchase your summer novels and your textbooks needed for the 2015-2016 school year. To log into the School’s Official Bookstore CLICK HERE
- The posting of summer assignments is complete. Summer Math for all grades, AP Physics summer work and summer reading assignments for all students are posted now. Check out the link for Summer Assignments 2015 on the FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS page.
- We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
- Here is the google link:
shrineschools.com/spreadsheet/ ccc?key=0Av8_ fpn9W131dDRqR3hhZjRTTW1jRHpEVG RORUlaTFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0
Are your child’s immunizations up to date? The Oakland County Health Department will hold extended clinic hours to vaccinate children in their Southfield location.
Health Division’s extended clinic hours are:
South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Road, Southfield
Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Next school year, in 2016, there will be a 7 day trip to Costa Rica with the Worldstrides Company during Spring Break. In June 2016, after school is out, there will be a 9 day trip to China. These trips are open to all Shrine students and their parents. If you would like more information about either of these amazing cultural and linguistic opportunities. For more information contact Jan Recinos @email@example.com
NEW- Basic Calendar for 2015-2016
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for students
- August 25th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 26th - Full day of classes for student
- September 4th & Sept 7th – off (Labor day)
- September 8th – Classes resume
- November 25th – 29th – Thanksgiving
- December 19th – January 3rd – Christmas Vacation
- January 4th – Classes resume
- January 13th, 14th, 15th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 19th – 22nd – Winter break
- March 24th – April 3rd - Easter Break
- May 26th - High School Graduation
- May 27th & 30th – off (Memorial day)
- June 6th – Eighth Grade Graduation
- June 8th, 9th, 10th - Finals
REPLACEMENT ID CARDS
Students that need a replacement ID card should stop in the main office. ID cards can be prepayed online with check or credit card or you can leave a check in the high school office(made out to TRU FOODS) which will be added to the students lunch account. Checks dropped off at 8am will be loaded to the account in time for lunch that day. Thank you for helping us to make the line move more quickly and efficient.
In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATTENDANCE CALLS- Please note that we have made a change. ALL attendance calls should go to Mrs. Gleeson, our new Administrative Assistant. When calling into school, Press 1 to leave a message on the Attendance line. Please leave your son/daughter’s name, grade level and reason for absence.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2015-2016 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2015 to be current for the 2015-2016 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296