High School Announcements for the
Week of September 29, 2014
Shrine Cafe update…Many have been asking about how to apply money to your child’s ID card for purchases in the cafe. Students may continue to pay with cash. Checks made payable to TRU FOODS are also acceptable. In order to use the online payment system,PayForIt. parents will need their child’s unique student ID number. Parents should have received an email with directions on how to use the online payment along with their son or daughter’s unique ID. If you need any assistance in setting up your account, you can email Mrs. Sawyer at email@example.com.
Students in the Shrine Confirmation program are reminded to sign up for their Confirmation interview. Confirmation is 12:30, Sunday, October 5 at National Shrine of the Little Flower Church. A link to a sign up sheet can be found here. https://docs.google.com/
Monday, September 29
- College visits today from Oakland University Period C and Adrian College Period D
- Spirit shirts are on sale before school and during lunch $15
- School picture photo packets were distributed to the students last week. Retake day is Tuesday, October 14th.
Tuesday, September 30
- Northwood University visits period E, Marquette University visits Period G
- St. Therese Feast Day Event. The National Shrine of the Little Flower celebrates the life of St. Therese with an evening of reflection and prayer with special guest speaker Msgr. Eugene Morris. Click on the link below for more information
Wednesday, October 1
- St. Therese Feast Day, All School Mass at Shrine Church, 9:00am. All students will be transported down to the Church by school bus. Our Senior class and their parents will be attend a special brunch following Mass.
The senior class project with Gleaners Community Food Bank will take place on October 1st. Following the Mass and the special brunch in Heritage Hall, the Seniors will return to school for a presentation in the auditorium by one of the local directors of Gleaners.
The students will be packing and wrapping special Birthday Boxes. So many families struggle to provide food for their families and a birthday cake and candles are a luxury many families cannot afford. The boxes our students will provide will help keep a special day special for so many.
How can you help? The seniors are being asked to collect items that could be included in the Birthday Box and wrapping paper to cover the box. You can help by donating items to help the seniors fill as many boxes as possible. Be creative.
- A cake mix, can of frosting
- birthday candles
- party supplies, balloons
- a small gift
- wrapping paper
- We hope that the cash donations from the jeans day collection will also be enough to provide a small gift card to a grocery to purchase eggs and oil that might be needed for the cake preparation. We will graciously accept these donations through Tuesday (September 30th). Students can turn the items into their religion teachers. Thank you for your help with this special project.
STEP BY STEP Run/Walk, Saturday, October 11, 8:30am http://www.stepbysteprun.com/
Thursday, October 9- Parent/Teacher conferences 5-8pm
Tuesday, October 14- High School Picture Retake day 9am
Shrine Mother’s Club
- August Mother’s Club Newsletter
- Here’s a link to sign up for this and other Mother’s Club activities where you can volunteer to help out. Mothers Club Volunteer Sign Up
Click here for a link to MBS Direct. For those students taking the new courses of Finance, Accounting or Marketing, the booklists have been updated. Check on the page “For High School Students” for the updated list.
We’ve heard from some of you looking for or wanting to sell textbooks. A Google document has been created that allows you to sell or browse for books. The school will have no part in collecting or distributing money or books, but wanted to provide a space for people to find additional resources for books. The link is also posted on the website on the FOR THE PARENTS and FOR THE STUDENTS LINKS.
***** Please remember that all students are required to have a current physical on file for the 2014-2015 school year. The physical must be dated after April 15, 2014 to be current for the 2014-2015 school year. Also, new students must fill out a concussion awareness form that the school is required to keep on file until the student is 25 years old.
High School students will have a new uniform option for the 2014-2015 school year. The navy blue shirts are made of a soft polyester microfiber fabric that wicks moisture away, keeping our students comfortable and dry. They are also treated with an anti-microbial that will inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria. The shirts maybe ordered online at Schoolbelles.com or at their retail location on 12 Mile & Southfield Rd,Southfield. The light blue cotton polo shirt continues as a uniform option and will also be offered in the new microfiber fabric.The new shirts are $32 at Schoolbelles.
Basic Calendar 2014-15
Shrine High School & Academy
- August 27th - First day of classes for students (Half day)
- August 28th - Full day of classes for students
- September 2nd – Classes resume
- November 26th – 30th – Thanksgiving
- December 20th – January 4th – Christmas Vacation
- January 5th – Classes resume
- January 14th, 15th, 16th – Mid Terms/ 1st Semester Finals
- February 20th – 23rd – Winter break
- April 2-12 – Easter Break
- June 8th, 9th, 10th – Finals
- Hollywood Market – Apples for the Students Rewards Program
NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters simply tell the checkout cashier the name of the school they would like to support and their points are electronically credited to your school.
- Target – Take Charge of Education-This is linked to your Target Red Card or Target VISA Card. How do I designate a school? Visit www.target.com/tcoe and enter your school name or school ID to view and designate your current school.
- Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Give our school ID# every time you shop at Office Depot, www.officedepot.com and 1-800-GO-DEPOT ShrineAcademy #70052302 and ShrineHigh School #70052296
- Northwood Marketplace – Apples for the Students Rewards Program NO CARD NECESSARY . . Families, friends and supporters collect your receipts and simply drop them off or mail them to the High School Office, ATTN: Mothers Club (Apples for the Students Rewards Program).